XComp's Forums

A place to discuss the mods of XComp
It is currently Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: the hell is with the instability system?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:05 am 
Poster

i think the profiling system is not working properly. it does NOT make the mass acquisition of rare materials sufficiently dangerous, AND it makes entirely reasonable worlds crafted over the course of hours for a specific, beautiful visual ascetic unplayable. to illustrate this, i present two worlds that i made:

Tonthil:
void world
boundless sky
(black) night sky
dark moon
dark sun
normal lighting
(mushroom island, swamp, jungle, desert) tiny biomes
(glowstone)tendrils
(stone)spheres
(glass)crystal formations
strongholds
mineshafts
dungeons
netherforts
(red-gradient, blue-gradient, green-gradient; north; full length) twinkling stars
(blue-gradient, green-gradient, red-gradient; south; full length) twinkling stars
(yellow-gradient, cyan-gradient, magenta-gradient; east; full length) twinkling stars
(magenta-gradient, yellow-gradient, cyan-gradient; west; full length) twinkling stars
(white-gradient, black-gradient; zero length) twinkling stars
clear modifiers

the point of this world was to have glowing, random bridges (the tendrils) back and forth between microcosms of various biomes (the stone spheres) all contained in a grand expanse of spiraling, rainbow stars. it was intended as the sight of my primary base.

undesirable traits acquired:
wither, poison, hunger, slowness, nausea, mining fatigue, weakness, spontaneous explosions, BLACK DECAY, and so much slowness that my FOV was a 45 degree arc.
i don't know the effect conditions because it kills you in ~10 seconds aand i did not feel like sticking around.

bling!:
(stone) normal world
bright lighting
(desert) single biome
(diamond ore) crystal formations
caves

the point of this world was to try to grab a few diamonds quickly before the world decayed around me. it was only later that i realized that diamonds are not available for crystal formations. the RNG selected packed ice for the crystals and obelisks for the diamonds.

undesirable traits acquired:
ambient slowness plus sky-exposure poison, hunger, weakness, and mining fatigue.
turns out to be perfectly livable, even if it is a bit annoying.

i believe that i have the latest version of mystcraft. (downloaded 3 days ago)
can anyone explain to me why my void world is unstable at all?

Post subject: Re: the hell is with the instability system?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:38 pm 
Wiki Admin

For the void world, ISTR that glowstone is considered valuable in its own right (as are crystals), and your tendrils of it are both massive and maximally accessible. For the other, you got off fairly easy (obelisks are the "least massive" of the block features), but that's still a world where you can't hang out under the open sky, and are handicapped against monsters elsewhere.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:06 am 
Wiki Admin

Crystal formations don't make instability. Glass block, crystal formations have a value of zero.

That first world -- void, with a few spheres -- would have had very few ores (roughly speaking, the process is: Generate ground (void), generate decorations (spheres/tendrils), place ores in the stones), but highly accessible.

Realistically speaking, the only way that could have caused trouble would be diamonds, and that probably wasn't what happened.

So, it seems that if there is a problem, it's that glowstone is too "valuable".

Black decay? ... You saw it?

As for Diamond Obelisks: ... mwa-ha-ha, yes, they can be a lot of fun. Still ...

You have a stone normal world, so you'll get the normal base diamonds (I've done this with a dirt world, so I don't get the base diamonds. And if you toss in Skylands, you'll have gaps where no obelisks form, and less diamonds, and it's actually pleasent). And, you have bright lighting. That's ... that's a LOT. You found it oddly livable?

I'd expect about 2.5-3K instability, which triggers both of the early decks, which should be some bad stuff even under a roof.

Currently a work in progress (3 of 5 parts finished). A 5 minute "TL; DW" summary is at the end of part 3. The first 10 minutes of part 3 are a summary of parts 1 and 2; part 3 is a decent job of being a self-contained mod spotlight, and does significant details on how to write worlds.

Part 4 will be looking at dangers of ages, coming soon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:09 am 
Mystcraft Developer

That's a lot of instabiltiy for glowstone tendrils. I'm not sure why you would get that much.

Can you provide the agedata file for that age?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:13 am 
Wiki Admin

Actually, I remember running into that same issue with glowstone tendrils in a cave world age (was going to be my light source), and even mentioned this to you. Your response, I think, was just that it was too much glowstone in the tendrils, and ... I don't remember what else. It was around the time that we were talking about how there is no "roof crystal formation" for duplicating the nether glowstone.

Currently a work in progress (3 of 5 parts finished). A 5 minute "TL; DW" summary is at the end of part 3. The first 10 minutes of part 3 are a summary of parts 1 and 2; part 3 is a decent job of being a self-contained mod spotlight, and does significant details on how to write worlds.

Part 4 will be looking at dangers of ages, coming soon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:30 am 
Poster

yes, i did directly see about 50 blackish purplish blocks floating in the void within my 2 chunk render distance. i beleive they are black decay but did not get a very good look and have never seen black decay before. nonetheless, it is the only reason i can think of for having a random distribution of isolated black blocks floating there.

as for the agedata file, i would love to provide it, but i do not know how to do so.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:47 pm 
Wiki Admin

minecraft_install/saves/name_of_save/data/DIM#.dat

Do not look in save/DIM#/data, it won't be there.

¹http://xkcd.com/1597/