XComp's Forums

A place to discuss the mods of XComp
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 11:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bring Back Random Ages D:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:02 am 
Poster

I saw in Trello that the ability to create random ages is going to get the boot. As a compromise, can't we just have an option to enable or disable them?

Also, really happy that this is still going! BTW, is Mystcraft for Minecraft v1.8 and above coming soon?

Post subject: Re: Bring Back Random Ages D:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:54 am 
Mystcraft Developer

If you check out my twitter account, I've been talking about the 1.11.2 update. :) I even posted a screenshot there last night.

"Bring back" confused me, since they hadn't gone anywhere, yet. :P

The thing for the requiring one page is mostly a tech level thing. Requiring one page shouldn't be much of a requirement, but helps constrain things a bit.
Mostly it's a note for when we get to the crafting rewrite. Nothing there is set in stone.
It might be made as a config option, it might be dropped completely due to other crafting changes. Who knows?

Thanks for voicing your perspective on it, though. I appreciate the feedback. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:40 pm 
Wiki Admin

Hmm...

Perhaps a "craftable" page, that does nothing itself, just a placeholder, that satisfies the minimum, and permits fully random ages?

Naturally, such a page can't be made with overworld materials. I mean, sure, either the paper, or the ink (I don't remember which) of the lore was normal, but the other wasn't. So the whole "you have to find a real symbol before you can make an age" fits.

In fact, the idea of being able to copy pages given only overworld materials ...

Currently a work in progress (3 of 5 parts finished). A 5 minute "TL; DW" summary is at the end of part 3. The first 10 minutes of part 3 are a summary of parts 1 and 2; part 3 is a decent job of being a self-contained mod spotlight, and does significant details on how to write worlds.

Part 4 will be looking at dangers of ages, coming soon

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:14 am 
Poster

Oh OK. Well, I just think it's a really great and fun feature when you just wanna screw around and explore or see just what Mystcraft is capable of. Once found a nice little glacier world completely at random. Spawned beneath the ice. Was pretty epic. Actually, I still have the dimension saved.

I get that it's hardly lore-consistent but again, if it has to go somewhere, just make it an option you can turn on and off in the command line.

And we're going all the way up to 1.11.2? Yesh!!!! I think that should bring this mod right back into the spotlight too since we've been sitting at 1.7.10 for so long.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:42 pm 
Wiki Admin

Ohh, a cave world made of ice?

Currently a work in progress (3 of 5 parts finished). A 5 minute "TL; DW" summary is at the end of part 3. The first 10 minutes of part 3 are a summary of parts 1 and 2; part 3 is a decent job of being a self-contained mod spotlight, and does significant details on how to write worlds.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:52 am 
Poster

keybounce wrote:
Ohh, a cave world made of ice?

Don't think so. There was a sky and stuff plus mobs at the top but it did spawn me really freaking deep inside a glacier so I don't know. XP

Did you want the age?

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:56 pm 
Wiki Admin

Cave worlds still have a top surface you can get to. Occasionally you'll spawn up there and it'll look like a flat world.

¹http://xkcd.com/1597/

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:05 pm 
Wiki Admin

Was there only ice, even when you got to the top?

Packed Ice can spawn mobs, I believe; normal Ice cannot.
Packed Ice is a valid ground block (and a valid ocean block, and a structure block, etc.

It is possible to make a normal world where everything is packed ice. But that would just be silly.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:21 pm 
Poster

Draco18s wrote:
Cave worlds still have a top surface you can get to. Occasionally you'll spawn up there and it'll look like a flat world.

Then no, it was not a cave world.

keybounce wrote:
Was there only ice, even when you got to the top?

Packed Ice can spawn mobs, I believe; normal Ice cannot.
Packed Ice is a valid ground block (and a valid ocean block, and a structure block, etc.

It is possible to make a normal world where everything is packed ice. But that would just be silly.

Yeah, it was just packed ice everywhere. Well, also orbs of wood but that's about it.