XComp's Forums

A place to discuss the mods of XComp
It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Upcoming Forums Transition
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:21 pm 
Wiki Admin

No worries, no point in rushing things.

¹http://xkcd.com/1597/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:38 pm 
Wiki Admin

Mental Mouse wrote:
xcompwiz wrote:
Mental Mouse wrote:
Just dropped in to find this... good luck on the migration! Also, skimming through the thread I briefly thought that Viovis' curses-style Bootstrap theme was an actual suggestion. :shock:

It is! :D
It's a skin, so we could apply it to any forum that uses bootstrap (theoretically).
I'd only make it a user optional theme, though.

Good, good, then I don't have to figure out a way to send 20,000 volts over the Intenet. :P

Well, the internet is just a series of tubes, so convert the voltage to something that goes through tubes, like compressed air. But I think the volts to shaft to pnumatic conversion has some loss :-)

Currently a work in progress (3 of 5 parts finished). A 5 minute "TL; DW" summary is at the end of part 3. The first 10 minutes of part 3 are a summary of parts 1 and 2; part 3 is a decent job of being a self-contained mod spotlight, and does significant details on how to write worlds.

Part 4 will be looking at dangers of ages, coming soon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:07 pm 
Wiki Admin

keybounce wrote:
Mental Mouse wrote:
xcompwiz wrote:
It is! :D
It's a skin, so we could apply it to any forum that uses bootstrap (theoretically).
I'd only make it a user optional theme, though.

Good, good, then I don't have to figure out a way to send 20,000 volts over the Intenet. :P

Well, the internet is just a series of tubes, so convert the voltage to something that goes through tubes, like compressed air. But I think the volts to shaft to pneumatic conversion has some loss :-)

That's OK, I can AFK while it builds up pressure. Here's to cross-mod exploits!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:26 pm 
Wiki Admin

(We can digress any discussion into modded minecraft.)

Currently a work in progress (3 of 5 parts finished). A 5 minute "TL; DW" summary is at the end of part 3. The first 10 minutes of part 3 are a summary of parts 1 and 2; part 3 is a decent job of being a self-contained mod spotlight, and does significant details on how to write worlds.

Part 4 will be looking at dangers of ages, coming soon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:04 pm 
Mystcraft Developer

I've got most everything migrated / set up, just the forums left to finish.

As said before, the forums are just waiting for a mail server and content migration. I'm dragging my feet there, though.

For one thing, the forum data migration is unlikely to be smooth. The content structure is slightly different, which alone causes issues, but the user login system here is actually slightly modified from vanilla phpbb3 here. This is likely to make user login migration a real pain. Flarum also doesn't allow spaces or non-basic symbols in usernames, which will make the migration even trickier.
There also isn't an official migration script, just the community created one that I'm not sure is 100% functional on the latest Flarum.

Secondly, mail server... *shudders*
I've set up two in the past. Did not enjoy either. I do not know how the one on this server is working.

EDIT: It occurs to me that I might be able to bypass setting up a full mailserver on the server by using google (or mailgun or the like). I'll look into that. That sounds much more reliable.
EDIT2: Holy cow mailgun is cool. :D Definitely going that route. That's next on my list, then.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:28 pm 
Mystcraft Developer

I tried to do the migration to Flarum, but it just wasn't feasible. It breaks everything from posting structure to usernames. Just can't fix it all.
Maybe when it's out of beta.

For now, let's scrap that. I just want a solution we can move to that will let me automate things. The latest phpbb3 still doesn't have an API, and I couldn't find any plugins to let me make remote posts. However, I noticed that the Factorio forums are phpbb3, have a poster bot and a more friendly (mobile) interface. If we can figure out how to do that, we can keep phpbb3.

I might try asking Rseding91 what they use to do those posts. Anyone else up for figuring some of this out?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:16 pm 
Mystcraft Developer

Rseding91 directed me to ask HanziQ, who said,
"off the top of my head, it's using robobrowser in python to just parse the html of the website, fill in forms and send the request again."

So, that's how they do it, apparently. I might poke him again to see if I can't get a copy of the code for that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:52 pm 
Mystcraft Developer

HanziQ actually did provide me with some of the code! Huge thanks to the Factorio devs, especially HanziQ ands Rseding! :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:02 am 
Wiki Admin

Awesome!

¹http://xkcd.com/1597/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:28 am 
Poster

Soo..... in the end, what happened with this forums stuff? I've seen rather recent dates on some of these forums posts, so did you guys decide not to switch forums? Also, what's the situation with Mystcraft's version? Is it going to be forever 1.7, or...? I mean, if it is, that's fine, I just haven't seen the matter addressed anywhere I've looked.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next