XComp's Forums

A place to discuss the mods of XComp
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:44 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Information on Private Packs
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:23 pm 
Mystcraft Developer

I'd like to clarify what constitutes a truly private pack.

In order to make the pack private it needs to be privately distributed, meaning in-accessible to the public (behind a secure password, for example). There's no way for a streamer to make a pack for their followers and make it a private pack (unless they are exceedingly unpopular). They can always make a private pack for others who literally play with them, such as on a private server, but only if this is a small group.

Streamers can always include Mystcraft in their games or LPs, I only have rules against distribution of the mod.

The basic rule of thumb is: private packs are only those where the distribution is limited to a small group with secure access.
Behind a secure password or via a shared dropbox folder are two of the easiest ways to do that (note that the dropbox folder cannot be publicly accessible, so not shared via a link, and that the actual download must be secured, so hiding a link behind a password doesn't count; the download itself must require authentication).
Small is a bit ambiguous but generally doesn't need to be clarified, as the requirements of secure and generally inaccessible often ensures the group isn't just anyone who notices the group. A private community of 200 people, if using a properly secured link or shared dropbox folder (though DB might be a bit hard to do for that size group), is comparatively small if the ability to join this community is limited (your local Kendo group, perhaps). If it's a publicly accessible community, where all you have to do is create a username, then it's not a private group and doesn't qualify.

An example:
The Forgecraft servers wouldn't technically need permission to distribute Mystcraft to the members, as it does so through a secure, directly shared channel. Furthermore, the streamers on those servers don't need permissions to stream from there (though since it's a collection of dev servers we sometimes have things they aren't allowed to reveal :P). Additionally, the membership is generally limited; you have to be invited to the group to be able to join it.
However, a public server where anyone can join WOULD need permissions to distribute Mystcraft in a pack of the mods.

Since Forgecraft is dev servers, it needs special permissions to distribute those versions to it's members, but it rather obviously has those. :P

Post subject: Re: Information on Private Packs
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:25 pm 
Poster

what about though an FTP Server?
or a password protected ".7z" file

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:50 pm 
Poster

TheWired wrote:
what about though an FTP Server?
or a password protected ".7z" file

considering an FTP Server would chew through more Bandwidth than a family of Mice living in a Cheese Factory would eat Cheese in their entire lifetime to support 201+ players, not to even mention the hardware strain that would cause, I would assume that would probably be tolerable, still a good idea to ask permission anyways.

As far as the Password Protected .7z File, that would be considered restricted access as the players would need to get the Password first, but again, one would still need to stay within the guidelines (eg, no posting the Password publicly somewhere, such as just above the D/L link).

I do have questions relating to Ads though. Generally relating to; Wikia Page Ads, did you forget/purposefully fail to mention referral Ads (eg. AdFly)? What abut You/tube Video Ads? You seem fairly strict about ensuring we don't make any money, but you have some Grey Area there, did you do that so we could at least have an option, albeit not very productive (I think AdFly is like $0.01 per 10 clicks). Obviously we don't intend to spam people with Ads, you were pretty clear about that being a no-go, it's just the Grey Area I'm wondering about.

I'm currently working on a ModPack for MineCraft 1.7.10, it will be named "Infernal Rift", I am the Author (Compiler/Tech Support) of this ModPack, it's going to be a very rough start, with lots of dying, and a small bit of lore.

Last edited by Blue64 on Tue May 16, 2017 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:51 pm 
Mystcraft Developer

I don't see how adfly could be a grey area, really. If you put the download link behind adfly then that's obviously a No.

If you create video content, you can have YouTube ads. The video is not my content. :)

If you have ads on your server wiki, I've no complaints. If you have ads bound such that you get money from people downloading the pack, that's an issue.

Basically, if you provide a pack distribution, that distribution should be downloadable without any ads being involved (that you benefit from). If you use hosting with ads that's a different boat, since it pays for the hosting.

In the case where you host the download on your own server, I've allowed for ads that help pay for the hosting locally, in which case any excess should be donated to charity. :)

Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:59 pm 
Poster

One thing I forgot, what about an Optional link (like AdFly) with an alternative Direct Download so as to provide a Profitless Direct Download yet still provide an option to provide Profit? I've seen some Mod Makers do that, where they offered a Direct Download while offering an AdFly for the exact same File, and I forgot to ask. It offers a means of Profit-Free Downloads whilst offering a parallel option for Profitable Pack Downloads (side by side and clearly marked of course), should the Downloader decide to use it.

:idea: Another thing to consider is "What about a means of Earning a Profit to support the Server to play the Pack on?" a "Furthering of content" type of clause? Servers can sometimes get rather costly depending upon where you get it from, and the quality of the Server also sometimes is a factor after all. (perhaps some information would need to be provided for Transaction Information to you so as to verify that the Money is indeed going where it's intended? or maybe some % of the profits would go to you also? ;) )

I'm currently working on a ModPack for MineCraft 1.7.10, it will be named "Infernal Rift", I am the Author (Compiler/Tech Support) of this ModPack, it's going to be a very rough start, with lots of dying, and a small bit of lore.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:36 am 
Mystcraft Developer

No, no optional adfly link. You can have those pointing at other things, if people want to use them to support the server, but not the pack.

Right off, I'm pretty certain that Minecraft servers earning a "profit" that way is against the EULA. At least when it comes to providing content.
You can have ads on the server pages to help cover the costs of the server; you can sell hosting; you can collect donations. You can also provide non-game incentives to donations (EULA, again).
You might be able to sell whitelisting or time on the server. I'd check the EULA on that one, but it seems reasonable. Similar to selling hosting.

If you are looking at making money on a server, don't look at the mods on the server as a means of doing so. Minecraft content may not be sold or pay-walled, including modded content.

If your aim is to cover costs, don't talk about "profit." That means money beyond covering costs. If your aim is to do that, I don't want Mystcraft running on your server.

I'm not against servers running Mystcraft covering the cost of running the server. Not at all.
I don't want servers using Mystcraft as a means to make money. This is already a property of the Minecraft EULA.