I’m currently taking a small break from any major Mystcraft development until MCP for 1.3 is up and running. In the mean time I am trying to get some bugs in the current build fixed. I’ll put up another release in about 24 hours that fixes the chat and bedrock issues. I’m waiting to see if anything else needs to be fixed at the same time.
Note that this is a bad place to come for general support. The forums are much better if you have a question to be answered or an install problem.
If you find a bug then you can use the now public Bug Tracker system! This should help a lot with people trying to understand bugs and in reporting bugs.
At this point all bug reports should be handled through that.
The forge edition is confirmed to work with 164.
The current symbols are temporary and randomly generated, so be prepared for them to change again in the future. The style won’t change, but the randomly selected lines will go away in preference of designed patterns. This should be the last major change to them.
Change logs will be up later.
Testing is going well for tonight’s release of Mystcraft. I’ve fixed most of the priority issues for the moment and we are looking into the last big issue.
I want to try to get better distribution system for Mystcraft up. The current methods are too manual for me. I want something I can automate and control easily.
The release won’t be delayed for this, however. I’ll publish manually if I need to.
In other news, I’m announcing that I am not going to be picking up the other mod I had been planning. Since I did most of the designs for that mod with Exotria and Greychapel I’ve given them the idea to do with as they please.
Instead, I’m looking at picking up a project I have wanted to do for the past 10 years. Not a Minecraft mod, obviously. I don’t want to give out much information on this project yet, but I’ve codenamed it Project Spaceman (or just spaceman). More info will come as soon as more of it is done.
This new project will take some time away from Mystcraft, but not end its development. The other mod would have done the same, though perhaps not to the same extent. I should have enough time for both projects, though. Once school starts up both projects will get even less time, but such is life.
Anyway, release is soon!
The next release is targeted to this week. I wanted it out LAST week, but the symbol representations have taken longer than I’d hoped (and I’ve been doing other things as well).
At this point the symbol sprites are cleaned up and I only need to to assign actual component sets. I’m setting a hard deadline of Wed for the release, though. This has delayed things long enough.
- Redid the disarm book effect
- Changed some flags on crystal and glowstone crystal generation
- Fixes transparency for disabled link panel
- Renames the ‘colorized’ symbols to ‘chromatic’
- Changes Normal Sunset to Red Sunset
- Changes Normal Clouds to White Clouds
- Remaps symbol identifiers accordingly
- Adds Environmental Effect symbol: Accelerated
- Adds Weather symbols: Always, Overcast, Fast, Slow
- API improvements
I’ve updated the Minecraft Forums post and gotten (nearly) everything cleaned up over here. Still want a better downloads handler, but everything is functional.
So, since I haven’t been updating my blog due to the system instability of the machine it was running on I’m very behind for updates. Let’s see if I can rectify that.
I’m not sure where my last updates cut off so I’m just going to do a general update on everything since 0.8.6b.
Here’s what I’ve been working on in basically the order I completed it (though I moved a few things around for easier reading).
- First off, I’ve got a completely new project environment. I rearranged everything to make life easier. This includes making code into client, server, and common branches, cleaning up the build system, and changing Version Control software. This has gone well and I am pleased with the new system.
- Mystcraft Forge Edition has moved up to 152. If there happens to be another recommended build between now and the release I will update to that.
- The first couple builds to the .9. series put in fixes that went into 0.8.6b. Since I had branched my environment already they were now two separate tracks and the fixes needed to be copied in.
- Many of the early builds also fixed things that got lost or broken by the new code architecture. That should all be cleaned up now.
- I’ve extended the lifetime of the book entities by a factor of 10 (in reference to the break down caused by exposure to air).
- I fixed the blinking weather on SMP and all the weather sync issues for Ages.
- Server loads got lifted by my removal of the chunk preloading system I had for my hotloaded worlds. Additionally, ChickenBones has written code to unload chunks/worlds which I put a slightly modified version of into Mystcraft. My version only includes some fixes in terms of keeping dimensions registered but not loaded.
- Changes odds for chance to add environmental effects from 2:3 to 1:5
- Fixes some config options not showing up (minimum age id, I think)
- Adds mod_Mystcraft to Forge Edition (so it will show up in the mods list).
- The API is very nearly complete. I’m still cleaning it up and getting feedback on it, but it’s looking good. Thanks to ScottKillen for his help on that!
- The symbols now have a new rendering system. Instead of single icons they can construct their appearance using predefined curves in any color.
- Symbols currently have deterministically random draw components, meaning I didn’t pick them but they are ‘fixed’.
- Fixes config class in Vanilla; Allows block ids > 255 (unsure if affects Forge Edition. Reports indicated that my configs weren’t allowing ids > 255)
- Adds lighting scaling to Lighting Controller (so actual block light level can be controlled)(Bugged?)
- Bright symbol now scales lighting to range within 7-15
- Dark symbol scales lighting between 0-7
- Remaps NativeBiomeController to BioConLarge internally
- Renames Medium Biomes to Large Biomes
- Adds Huge, Medium, Small, and Tiny Biomes
- Adds extra debug message info for Packet handling error outs (on FE)
- Fixes Logger time output
- Disables Spawn modification logic element (Because it isn’t fully specified it seems better to disable it for the API right now).
- Renames options.instability to options.decay to prepare for more instability types.
- Changes default entity ids to avoid conflicts with ModLoader
- Forge Edition better utilizes Forge (meaning I’m starting to register things properly through forge, meaning fewer class edits on the FE).
- Adds later biome symbol adding (for ex. Extra Biomes) on Forge Edition (on ModsLoaded)
- I at this point updated my MCP environment. This was interesting, but means more of my code is the same across the Editions.
- Cloud Colors
- Completes Sky/Fog/Cloud/Sunset Color grid
- Adds block for setting linking properties (temporary debug block)
- Rearranges how link properties work to be more generalized (to be added to API)
- Modifies link code to be more generalized across client/server and to handle link listeners
- Improves SSP link code to reuse world if already in target dim
- Force closes GUIs on linking
- Changes linking items to use the book GUI (unslotted)
- Changes book entities to use the book GUI (slotted)
- Adds packet for handling item activation on server by client command
- Adds basic render effect for Disarm book to linkpanel
- Greys out link panels when link is impossible
- Removes enchant glow from descriptive books
- Adds enchant glow to following books
- Improves BookGUI internals
- Improves Mystcraft GUI handling internals
- Makes disarm prevent linking of item entities and book entities
- Removes superfluous saving on SSP intra-age linking
- Changes item textures
Along the way I’ve managed to inject and fix other bugs, but those are less interesting, generally.
The debug block deserves a bit of discussion. It is currently in so it is possible to play with the linking mechanics properties without the full crafting system. Since the crafting system and tech stuff isn’t finalized I wanted something that would allow for testing of these features and to allow you to play with them.
At this point the block has buttons for different properties, a slot for the item, displays the linking item’s linked dimension id, and a box to rename the item with.
I realize this post is very long, but hopefully it will show that I have been working and haven’t just been sitting around.
Since the old server was having issues and my family was complaining about the loss of bandwidth I’ve moved.
Dinnerdog has been kind enough to provide mirroring for the downloads in the past and is now hosting this new server for me. Thanks, Dinnerdog!
I decided this was a good time to look into using pre-established software for my site, rather than writing my own. Not enough time and it’s simply not worth the effort. I could be doing much more useful things, like working on Mystcraft.
I’m in the process of getting most of the old posts copied over to here and getting this all set up and pretty. You should see the switch very soon.
I have been busy and working on Mystcraft despite the long silence. Sorry for not communicating what I’ve been working on, but I’ve gotten derailed here and there and just kept forgetting or having problems posting here.
I’ve changed how world data is saved. This is already in 0.8.6b, I think I’ve just failed to mention it. This fixes the Age Data save issues I was complaining about before. It could also improve the save handling for data for other mods.
As previously mentioned, I’ve got a new project environment and build system. This has helped a lot for moving forward with things and cleaning things up. Part of this is I’ve changed version control systems. I’ve moved from SVN to Bazaar. I really like some of the features there, especially the smarter change tracking and, obviously, the distributed nature of it.
- Moves Forge Edition up to Forge152
- Extends dropped book decay time by factor of 10
- Fixes blinking weather on SMP and (all?) weather sync issues
- Removes preloading from server world hotloading
- Changes odds for chance to add environmental effects from 2:3 to 1:5
- Fixes some config options not showing up
- Adds mod_Mystcraft to Forge Edition
- API is fully designed and nearly complete